MANILA – The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) said that it already has leads on the whereabouts of Sen. Ronald dela Rosa, who is reportedly subject of an arrest warrant issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC).

NBI Director Melvin Matibag, however, declined to disclose further details.

“If there is any person who should be asked, it’s Senator Robin Padilla dahil siya ang huling kasama (because he was with [Senator Dela Rosa]),” Matibag said during the “MACHRA Balitaan” forum of the Manila City Hall Reporters’ Association at the Harbor View Restaurant in Manila.

Matibag urged Dela Rosa to surrender, saying the senator, as former Philippine National Police chief under the administration of former President Rodrigo Duterte, should be familiar with law enforcement procedures.

He also pointed to the cases of former senators Antonio Trillanes IV and Leila de Lima, who both submitted themselves to legal processes after arrest warrants were issued while they were still in office.

Dela Rosa reportedly left the Senate premises with Sen. Robinhood Padilla on May 14, hours after a gunfire incident inside the Senate the previous night.

He had earlier been placed under Senate protective custody after appearing on May 11 following a nearly six-month absence.

Matibag also commented on accountability within the Senate in relation to the shooting incident, saying responsibility should be assessed based on actions rather than position.

“Ano ba pinanggagalingan (call for his suspension), command responsibility? Sino ba unang nagpaputok? Sino may command responsibility kay (who fired first? Who has command responsibility?) sergeant-at-arms? Who is the head of the Senate?” he said, referring to Office of the Sergeant-at-Arms acting chief Mao Aplasca, who admitted firing a warning shot on May 13.

Ombudsman Jesus Crispin Remulla earlier ordered Aplasca’s preventive suspension following the incident, while Senate leadership also called for accountability measures involving officials linked to the exchange of gunfire.

“Hindi pwesto ang tinitignan kundi kung ano ang ginawa mo…kung naaayon ba sa batas (It is not the position but what were the actions and if these actions were in accordance with the law),” Matibag said.

He added that he is ready to face any investigation and accept consequences if wrongdoing is found.

Matibag said the NBI is nearing completion of its own probe into the shooting incident and will submit its findings to the Department of Justice, which has formed a separate investigative panel.

Leave a comment

Trending