
MANILA – The Philippine National Police said its investigation into the May 13 Senate gunfire incident relied on physical and digital evidence, including CCTV footage and ballistic analysis.
PNP chief Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. said the probe was guided strictly by verified evidence, stressing that the police do not base findings on speculation or political narratives.
“This investigation serves as a testament to the PNP’s commitment to truth and accountability. We do not operate on rumors or political narratives,” Nartatez said.
“Our duty is to the facts, and by adhering strictly to the evidence — such as ballistic trajectories and verified CCTV footage — we uphold the integrity of our mandate to protect the public and ensure that justice is grounded in reality, not fear.”
He said the investigation was completed in less than a week, highlighting the use of forensic analysis and digital evidence in reaching its findings.
“By prioritizing factual analysis — including ballistics and digital forensics — over speculation, our teams ensured that we provided the Filipino people with clear, objective answers in record time, proving that the PNP remains a highly capable and responsive institution,” he added.
Nartatez also underscored the importance of the immediate release of results to prevent misinformation and public confusion.
“By acting swiftly and openly, we aim to restore calm, demystify the events of May 13, and hold all involved parties accountable based on the irrefutable evidence we have uncovered,” he said.
The probe was conducted following the directive of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. and Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla to fully determine what transpired during the incident.
The investigation report was turned over to acting Justice Secretary Fredderick Vida during a briefing in Malacañang on Tuesday.
Interior Secretary Remulla said CCTV footage and sworn statements indicated that former police general and Senate Sergeant-at-Arms Mao Aplasca allegedly fired the first shots toward National Bureau of Investigation agents who were conducting an inspection at the Senate premises.
Remulla said the evidence suggests the Senate was not under attack that night, although investigators have not yet concluded whether the incident was staged or premeditated.
“We will let the evidence speak for itself,” he said. “The investigation remains ongoing, and all angles will be examined carefully and fairly.”
Nartatez also said Aplasca had been ordered to surrender his firearm and submit to ballistic examination before the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group, but has not yet complied.





Leave a comment