President Rodrigo Roa Duterte talks to the people after holding a meeting with the Inter-Agency Task Force on the Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) core members at the Malago Clubhouse in Malacañang on July 21, 2020. ALBERT ALCAIN/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO

MANILA — Former president Rodrigo R. Duterte will remain in detention at the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague, Netherlands after a trial chamber denied his request for interim release, according to a ruling issued last week.

The ICC Trial Chamber III rejected the defense petition, which cited Duterte’s age and health condition as grounds for temporary release.

The chamber said Duterte’s health had been assessed by three ICC-appointed medical experts, whose reports “do not contain any information that warrants” granting interim release.

It also noted concerns over compliance with court orders.

“It also noted that Duterte’s refusal to recognize the ICC’s jurisdiction “demonstrates at its lowest that the Accused will not comply with any orders that might be made in respect of a release from custody,” the ruling said.

The court further said there was a risk he could evade proceedings if released.

“Taken together with his access to vast resources and contacts, including his family and supporters in the Philippines who may assist him in evading justice, the Chamber finds that, notwithstanding the Defense’s submissions regarding the Accused’s health condition, there is a real and substantial risk that the Accused could nonetheless abscond or obstruct justice, either on his own or through his associates,” it said.

The chamber added that Duterte’s physical condition and cognitive capacity were not sufficient to outweigh the risks identified by the court.

Duterte’s defense earlier argued that the former president has been experiencing frequent falls due to loss of balance and has poor memory, which they said limits his ability to influence witnesses or proceedings.

Leave a comment

Trending