
MANILA – Senator Robin Padilla denied allegations that he helped Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa leave the Senate building in the early hours of May 14 following a shooting incident, although he acknowledged that they exited the premises together.
In a press release, Padilla said their departure from the Senate was lawful despite the presence of police and security personnel.
“Paano kami tatakas? Ang daming pulis sa loob at labas ng Senado, may CCTV pa. Wala namang humarang sa amin,” Padilla said.
(How are we supposed to escape? There are many police inside and outside the Senate, and there’s CCTV. Nobody blocked us.)
Justice Secretary Frederick Vida earlier warned that anyone who helps Dela Rosa evade authorities could face legal consequences.
“Alam natin na sa panuntunan ng rule of law may pananagutan. Pinagtago. Hindi lamang po sa mata ng batas ng Pilipinas. Pati rin po sa batas ng ICC,” Vida said.
(We know that under the rule of law, there is accountability. He was hidden. This is a violation not only in the eyes of Philippine law but also under the laws of the ICC.)
CCTV footage uploaded by broadcast journalist Arnold Clavio on May 20 showed Padilla and Dela Rosa heading to the Senate parking area together.
The Philippine National Police also released footage of a white Toyota van leaving the parking lot at 2:32 a.m. on May 14, which authorities said was registered under Padilla’s name, according to PNP chief Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr.
The National Bureau of Investigation earlier tagged Padilla as a person of interest for allegedly assisting Dela Rosa in leaving the Senate premises.
As of May 22, the Philippine National Police had already launched manhunt operations for Dela Rosa following a directive from the Department of Justice to effect his arrest.
Authorities deployed tracker teams after the DOJ order issued on May 21, as the Supreme Court earlier denied Dela Rosa’s request for a temporary restraining order against the International Criminal Court arrest warrant.
The ICC warrant is linked to a crimes against humanity case tied to former president Rodrigo Duterte’s drug war, involving alleged killings of at least 32 individuals between July 2016 and April 2018.
Padilla, however, insisted that Dela Rosa was not fleeing authorities, saying the senator only asked for a ride out of the Senate after the incident.
“Ang sabi ni Senator Bato, ‘Sasabay na ko.’ Alangan naming tanggihan ko yun? Walang sasakyan si Sen. Bato dahil inihatid lang sya sa Senado ng sasakyan ni Senador Alan Peter Cayetano,” Padilla said in a Net25 interview.
(Dela Rosa asked me if he can hitchhike a ride. Should I refuse him? He has no vehicle because he rode Senator Cayetano’s vehicle when he arrived at the Senate.)
Padilla said Dela Rosa later got off in Makati, where his vehicle was allegedly waiting, and that he did not ask about his destination.
He also rejected the characterization of Dela Rosa as a fugitive.
“Para sa akin, hindi siya fugitive. Hindi ko matanggap na basta na lang natin tatawaging ganoon dahil sinabi ng dayuhan. Kailangan din nating igalang ang sarili nating proseso bilang bansa,” Padilla said.
(For me, he cannot be considered a fugitive. I cannot accept they would just label him as that because the foreigners said so. We need to respect our country’s process.)
Padilla added that he stayed with Dela Rosa for three days but told him to return home after the Senate incident.





Leave a comment