
MANILA — The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Sunday said it is prepared to provide security to the families of missing cockfight enthusiasts, following reports of alleged pressure linked to the camp of businessman Charlie “Atong” Ang, who has been tagged as the alleged mastermind in their disappearance.
In a media report, it said that in a statement, the PNP said it is ready to extend protection to the families of the “missing sabungeros” amid reports of alleged intimidation and interference in the ongoing investigation.
“The Philippine National Police, under the leadership of Police General Jose Melencio C. Nartatez Jr., has expressed readiness to provide security to the families of the ‘missing sabungeros’ amid reports of alleged pressure and interference linked to the ongoing investigation,” the PNP said.
PNP chief Jose Melencio C. Nartatez Jr. said any allegations of intimidation or bribery connected to the case will be investigated.
“Police assistance does not end with case build-up and the filing of charges. It expands to ensuring that no mockery of the justice system happens during the legal process,” he said.
Relatives of the missing sabungeros earlier alleged that lawyer Caroline Cruz, executive director of the Pitmaster Foundation and counsel for Ang, attempted to influence them by persuading them to skip hearings in exchange for money.
The families also rejected Cruz’s claim that they were the ones who initiated contact with her.
In a previous statement, Cruz said the relatives visited her office in Mandaluyong City on April 20, where she met them for the first time.
“I was surprised by their visit, but I welcomed them. It was a cordial meeting, if I am to describe it,” Cruz said, adding that the group sought her help in uncovering the truth behind the case.
She denied arranging the meeting or asking others to facilitate it, and also rejected allegations that she tried to convince the relatives to withdraw or avoid hearings.
“To ask for their recantation is not something that a sensible lawyer would even ask at this point. They are not even witnesses to the case, to begin with,” Cruz said.
Cruz also denied claims that she organized trips to casinos or a resort in Zambales for the relatives, but admitted providing financial assistance which she said came without conditions.
“I did not ask for anything in return for the financial support that I gave them. They signed nothing that would, in any way, be useful in the case,” she said.
Nartatez said investigators are also looking into a reported meeting involving relatives of the missing sabungeros and previously dismissed police officers linked to the case.
The PNP urged the families to immediately report any harassment or intimidation.
“The PNP urges the relatives of missing sabungeros to immediately report if they experience any form of harassment from other parties. Prayoridad natin ang kaligtasan nila at ang pagkakamit nila ng hustisya,” he added.





Leave a comment