MANILA – The impeachment trial of Vice President Sara Duterte is unlikely to disrupt congressional deliberations on the proposed PHP7.2-trillion national budget for 2027, Manila Rep. Bienvenido “Benny” Abante Jr. said.

Abante said he expects Congress to meet the budget timetable despite the ongoing proceedings before the Senate impeachment court.

“Palagay ko hindi naman sapagkat nakita naman natin… four hours lang naman ang impeachment court. Sa umaga nagsisimula, three o’clock deliberation na ‘yan eh, so I don’t think maapektuhan,” Abante said.

The House of Representatives is set to begin deliberations on the 2027 National Expenditure Program (NEP) following its formal submission by the Executive branch.

Speaker Faustino “Bojie” G. Dy III has vowed a thorough review of the proposed spending plan, saying lawmakers would ensure transparency throughout the budget process.

“Sa mga susunod na linggo, magiging masusi ang ating trabaho. Magtatanong tayo. Makikinig tayo. At sisiguraduhin nating malinaw sa publiko ang bawat hakbang ng prosesong ito,” Dy said during the NEP turnover ceremony.

The budget deliberations will proceed alongside Duterte’s impeachment trial, which began July 6 and has so far tackled two of the four articles of impeachment.

The House prosecution has rested its presentation on Article IV, which concerns Duterte’s alleged threats against President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., First Lady Liza Araneta-Marcos and then-House Speaker Ferdinand Martin G. Romualdez.

The trial is currently focused on Article I, which accuses Duterte of misusing PHP612.5 million in confidential funds allocated to the Office of the Vice President (OVP) and Department of Education (DepEd).

Former Land Bank of the Philippines branch managers testified on the encashment of four PHP125-million checks, totaling PHP500 million, by former OVP Special Disbursing Officer (SDO) Gina Acosta, as well as three PHP37.5-million checks, totaling PHP112.5 million, by former DepEd SDO Edward Fajarda.

Commission on Audit witnesses Roderick Wamil and Xylene Mae del Campo also testified on the liquidation of the funds and deficiencies in documents submitted to account for the expenditures.

The Senate impeachment court has renewed subpoenas for Acosta and Fajarda, who are expected to testify following Del Campo’s testimony.

The prosecution has yet to present Article II, which involves Duterte’s statements of assets, liabilities and net worth (SALN), bank transactions and alleged unexplained wealth, and Article III, which concerns alleged cash distributions to DepEd officials and personnel.

Abante said he wants the trial to proceed to Duterte’s SALN, bank and Anti-Money Laundering Council records after the confidential funds issue is tackled.

He also expressed hope that the impeachment proceedings would be completed before December.

Leave a comment

Trending