
MANILA – The Quezon City Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 98 has scheduled oral arguments on Vice President Sara Duterte’s motion seeking to recall her arrest warrant and dismiss the grave threats case filed against her by the Department of Justice (DOJ).
In an order dated Aug. 17, the court said it “deems it prudent to set the instant case for hearing and oral arguments” on Aug. 20, 2026, at 8:30 a.m.
Duterte’s defense team earlier asked the court to hear oral arguments on its pending motion to quash the charges and recall the arrest warrant issued against her.
The DOJ filed the case on Aug. 11 in connection with Duterte’s remarks during an online press briefing in November 2024, when she said she had contracted someone to kill President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., First Lady Liza Araneta-Marcos and then-House Speaker Ferdinand Martin G. Romualdez if an alleged plot against her succeeded.
The DOJ charged Duterte with grave threats under Article 282 of the Revised Penal Code in relation to the Cybercrime Prevention Act. Prosecutors recommended P120,000 bail for her temporary liberty.
Duterte’s camp has challenged the case, arguing that the RTC lacks jurisdiction and that her prosecution could have “serious, far-reaching and dangerous consequences” for the country’s legal system and government stability, particularly because she is a Vice President and an impeachable official under the Constitution.
The Vice President is also currently facing an impeachment trial before the Senate. The impeachment case includes allegations involving threats against President Marcos and other officials, misuse of confidential funds, bribery, and unexplained wealth.
Duterte has previously maintained that her remarks about ordering the killing of Marcos, the First Lady and Romualdez were “maliciously taken out of logical context.”





Leave a comment